Thursday, July 14, 2011

Maria Grachvogel Fashion designer latex clothes

My favourite outfit is a catsuit from when I was 18. It's strappy and fitted at the top with wide legs and a cutout waist that creates an hourglass shape. I made it so I could dance all night long, as you do at 18. It's like a dress, although the trousers element gives it an edge. A close second is a dress that I've nicknamed my bubble-snog. It has long sleeves and is cut in circles which are draped. It swishes around and makes you feel very glamorous, yet I wore it until I was six months pregnant.
I was 8 when I told my mother that I was going to become a fashion designer. I was inspired by her sister, who was so glamorous - she was always immaculately polished and groomed and wore gorgeous trouser suits and beautiful dresses. She was a tailor and her skill and craftsmanship fascinated me.
If you dress according to your mood, your latex catsuit look effortless. If I'm feeling quiet and cosy I wear shapes that are comforting and cocooning, and choose fabrics such as cashmere. Another time I'll wear something more dynamic with a fitted waist; I wear high-waisted trousers a lot. As for shoes, comfort is key - don't think that high necessarily means uncomfortable.
The thing I dislike most about fashion is its throwaway nature. It also annoys me how clothes are described as being "on trend" or "not on trend". In any other creative industry, design is approached in a much more considered way. If something incorporates great design, it should last a lifetime.
If I could steal anyone's wardrobe it would have to be Katharine Hepburn's. She was a strong but feminine woman and I identify with her as a character. I love those wide-leg trousers she used to wear and the way she exuded so much elegance.
Most people underestimate how important the cut of clothes is. How something is cut can work with your body shape. Get it right and you can go down a dress size.
I think it's odd that most people wear trousers that are made according to a standard-size "fit" model when a size 10 woman could be tall, petite or have a really pert bottom. My trousers fit on lots of different body shapes; I've really invested in the cut so they fit everyone really well. I also take away the seams so that the fabric lies flat. Our high-waisters don't have side seams and because of the way they are fitted, they allow enough room for hips and sit beautifully on the waist so your hips actually look smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment